The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit support partner of the Golden Gate National Parks—84,000 acres of national parkland throughout the Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future. Park projects and programs include the Crissy Field Center, the promoting of leadership and environmental justice training for youth; the Native Plant Nurseries, which grows over 100,000 plants annually to restore habitat; Trails Forever, which is at work building and rehabilitating miles of trails throughout the parks; and volunteer programs that inspire 35,000 people annually to take action in supporting the parks.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is seeking an enthusiastic and qualified person to fill the temporary, full time position of Sales Associate at the Golden Gate Bridge Pavilion. This is a unique opportunity to work for a nonprofit organization supporting the Golden Gate National Parks. Be a member of a team working to support an innovative retail program right next to the Golden Gate Bridge! The chosen candidate will be able to prove themselves and reapply for a permanent benefitted position at the end of the season.
All candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes working between the hours of 8:00am–8:00pm, all weekends, and all major holidays. All candidates must be available through October 31st, 2014.
Employees of the Parks Conservancy are expected to wear a uniform and adhere to professional appearance standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Candidates must possess highly developed visitor services skills.
- Candidates must enjoy and excel at working in a diverse, team environment.
- Candidates must enjoy working in a fast paced, physically demanding environment.
- Candidates must be able to take direction from the management team and be adaptable to changing situations.
- Candidates must be expert in cash handling.
- 2+ years of retail experience is a plus.
- Bilingual a plus.
- Knowledge of local history, transportation, and tourist attractions a plus.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Work is primarily performed standing or walking.
- Work requires squatting and kneeling.
- Work is performed in Retail, Visitor Center and Warehouse settings.
- Frequently lifts, carries, and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide exceptional visitor services following the Conservancy’s standards.
- Sell interpretive merchandise to visitors through education and engagement.
- Complete all transactions accurately.
- Answer visitor questions and disseminate information in a courteous manner.
- Assist management team with daily operations of the Pavilion including but not limited to:
- counting tills
- opening/closing procedures
- inventory preparation
- stocking displays
- light cleaning
- Maintain positive, productive relations with the National Park Service, Conservancy and Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District personnel.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
Position opened until filled.