The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is a well-established non-profit organization headquartered in historic upper Fort Mason, San Francisco. We work to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future. Since 1981, as the non-profit partner of the National Park Service, the Parks Conservancy has provided over $250 million in support to the Golden Gate National Parks, rallied more than 250,000 volunteers, and pioneered innovative park stewardship and education programs. The organization currently has over 400 staff members and an operating budget of over $40 million.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for recording financial transactions related to retail sales, visitor programs revenue, and other related journals and adjustments. Additionally, the Staff Accountant reconciles cash and cash on hand accounts. This position also assists with month-end, quarterly, and year-end closes as well as supports preparation work for annual financial statement audit. This is a non-exempt position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with, and understanding of, accounting for retail sales is a plus.
- Must be a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Must be a problem solver who can identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and know when to ask for assistance when needed.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Good time management skills.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects.
- Must work well in a team environment.
- Proficient in Financial Edge or similar accounting software.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge in Excel.
- Minimum of 5 years related accounting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Work is primarily performed sitting, standing, and walking.
- Regularly sits at a computer station and operates electronic equipment 6–8 hours per day.
- Frequently lifts, carries, and positions objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs schedules of sales and cash receipts transactions and related journal entries, general ledger account reconciliations and analysis.
- Performs monthly and/or quarterly invoicing for various private and government receivables.
- Communicates with interdepartmental staff (Interpretive Sales and Visitor Programs) to resolve issues and variances in Cash-on-Hand and Change Fund.
- Day-to-day general accounting tasks as assigned, including the recording of various daily transactions.
- Performs assigned month-end closing activities.
- Performs special analysis/research as required.
- Assists in the documentation of procedures related to the position’s assigned tasks and responsibilities in the Finance and Accounting group.
- Contributes to the external audit process by preparing schedules, locating supporting documents, and answering inquiries.
- Assists with preparation of additional data for internal and external auditors as assigned.
- Prepares monthly payment request forms as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com. Include “Staff Accountant” in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be accepted until May 22, 2015.
The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy strives to engage a workforce reflective of the community it serves. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, gender, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.