January 5, 2017
Thursday, 9 am-noon
Audience: Groups, Adults, High School Students, Middle School Students, Families, Seniors, Educators, Volunteers, Elementary School Students
Location: Presidio of San Francisco
Event Type: Volunteer
This combo program focuses on the health of the Presidio's historic gardens and environmental sustainability projects throughout the park. The program focus rotates weekly.
Garden Stewards maintain and enhance the Presidio’s historic gardens and landscaped areas while learning about horticulture and historic landscape preservation. Activities include planting, weeding, spreading wood chips in landscaped beds, removing overgrown vegetation from historic garden features such as rock walls and pathways, and general site cleanup.
Sustainability Stewards help the Presidio Trust with its ongoing environmental sustainability efforts. Learn about the composting process while composting green waste at the Compost Yard, help organize salvaged materials at the Salvage Warehouse, and assist with other sustainability projects around the park.
Individuals and Families
Registration required for participation, but individuals are welcome to register up to the day before the event.
Check the Presidio Garden and Sustainability Stewards volunteer page for project details and program updates.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Presidio Trust Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the Parent/Guardian Approval Form (PDF) signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.
Meet at the Presidio Transit Center for a prompt 9am departure. Volunteers will be shuttled by van to the project site. Map Link>>
For general questions regarding volunteer programs, contact us at (415) 561-3044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also view the Volunteer FAQ page for more information.