OPEN NOW! Accepting applications for Spring 2015
This exciting program is a partnership of the National Park Service, Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, San Francisco State University and City College of San Francisco.
Only students currently enrolled at San Francisco State University & City College of San Francisco are eligible.
Did you know that the Golden Gate National Parks is one of the largest national parks in an urban setting and located only within a few miles of your school?! This vast park extends across three Bay Area counties and includes amazing places such as Alcatraz, Crissy Field, Fort Funston, Marin Headlands, and Muir Woods.
By becoming an intern, you will have the opportunity to experience these spectacular parklands first hand, behind the scenes and in depth. We have internship positions in the fields of interpretation, restoration and monitoring, youth programs and education, law enforcement, cultural resources, projects and planning, business management, media and design, and much more.
APPLICATIONS DUE OCT 6, 2014
Timeline & Details:
- Internships run mid-January – late-May.
- Part-time and Full-time positions available.
- Positions located in San Francisco, Marin, and San Mateo.
- Summer extensions may be possible based on performance, program need, and funding.
- $50 daily stipend (per 8 hours).
- Real work experience.
- Professional and educational development.
- Specialized training and leadership skills.
- Potential for future job opportunities.
- Academic credit possible (student responsible for confirming eligibility).
- The enjoyment of working in a beautiful national park.
- Real-life experience with a network of people who love their jobs.
How to Apply:
Be sure to include the following in your cover letter:
- Your experience or lack of experience (that’s ok!) with national parks.
- Why you are interested in the position.
- What unique perspective you bring.
Recommendation – apply for more than one position!
- If you see multiple positions that are a good fit for you, apply for them all.
- On the application form there is a section to list your choices.
- This will only increase your chances in the selection process.
For more information about the internships either send an email to AcademicIntern@parksconservancy.org OR call (415) 561-3544.
For information about the academic credit and other educational related questions contact:
Students at SFSU:
Dr. Barbara Holzman, Professor, Geography and Environmental Studies, email@example.com
Dr. Nina Roberts, Associate Professor, Recreation, Parks & Tourism, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students at CCSF:
Crima Pogge, Professor of Biology, email@example.com
The Parks Conservancy and National Park Service seek to increase diversity in the workplace and reflect the changing demographics of our Bay Area community.
People of color and from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
2015 ACADEMIC INTERN POSITIONS
- Alcatraz Waterbird Intern – Alcatraz Island
- Habitat Restoration and Volunteer Management Intern – Marin
- Habitat Restoration and Volunteer Management Intern – Presidio, San Francisco
- Habitat Restoration, Volunteer, and Monitoring Intern – Fort Baker, Marin
- Natural Resource Intern – San Francisco and Parkwide
- Natural Resource Intern – San Mateo
- Vegetation Monitoring Intern – Marin and San Francisco
- Wildlife Monitoring Intern – Marin
- Beach Stewardship and Volunteer Management Intern – San Francisco
- Facilities and Maintenance Volunteer Program Intern – Alcatraz Island
- Facilities and Maintenance Volunteer Program Intern – San Francisco
- Facilities and Maintenance Volunteer Program Intern – Marin
Interpretation, Education, Community and Youth Programs
- Alcatraz Island Interpretive Intern – Alcatraz Island
- Camping at the Presidio (CAP) Leadership and Outreach Intern – Presidio, San Francisco
- Climate and Education Program Intern – Institute at the Golden Gate, Marin
- Community Outreach Intern – Crissy Field Center, San Francisco
- Community Services Intern – Crissy Field Center, San Francisco
- Education and Interpretive Intern – Marin Headlands
- Education and Interpretive Intern – Muir Woods
- Education Intern – Crissy Field Center, San Francisco
- Education Intern – Presidio and Fort Point, San Francisco
- Environmental Education Intern – Fort Funston, San Francisco
- Historical Interpretive Intern – Fort Point, San Francisco
- Historical Interpretive Intern – Presidio, San Francisco
- Youth and Community Engagement Intern – San Francisco and Parkwide
- Youth Leadership Intern – Crissy Field Center, San Francisco
Communications and Media
- Accessibility and Media Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
- New Media Design, Production, and Social Media Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
Park Operations and Administration
- Business Management and Partner Facilities Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
- Environmental Health and Safety Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
- Planning Division Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
- Special Park Uses Intern – Fort Mason, San Francisco
- Visitor and Resource Protection Administrative Intern – Fort Baker, Marin
- Visitor and Resource Property Management Intern – Fort Baker, Marin