NOW Accepting applications for Spring 2017
APPLY TODAY! ~ Application deadline extended to 11/1 for Marin and select internships
This exciting program is a partnership of the National Park Service, Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, San Francisco State University, College of Marin, and City College of San Francisco. Only students currently enrolled at San Francisco State University, College of Marin, & City College of San Francisco are eligible.
Did you know that the Golden Gate National Parks is one of the largest national parks in an urban setting and located only within a few miles of your school?! This vast park extends across three Bay Area counties and includes amazing places such as Alcatraz, Crissy Field, Fort Funston, Marin Headlands, and Muir Woods. Join a diverse team of your college peers and experience these spectacular parklands first hand, behind the scenes, and in depth.
Timeline & Details:
- Application deadline extended to 11/1 for Marin and select internships
- Internships run mid-January through late-May
- Part-time and full-time positions available
- Summer extensions may be possible based on performance, program need, and funding
- Positions located in San Francisco, Marin, and San Mateo counties
- Positions in various fields: interpretation, restoration and monitoring, youth programs and education, law enforcement, cultural resources, communications and media, park administration and operations, business management, facilities and maintenance, and much more!
- Increase diversity in the workplace and support an intern cohort that reflects the demographics of our Bay Area community
- Engage local college youth in park programs and projects
- Deliver hands-on, relevant, and meaningful professional experiences to enhance classroom learning, while contributing to the mission of the park
- Offer strong mentorships that provide students with constructive training and support
- $50 daily stipend (per full day)
- Academic credit possible (student responsible for confirming eligibility)
- Real work experience with a network of people who love their jobs
- Gain specialized training, professional workforce skills, and leadership skills
- Career building and potential for future job opportunities
- Immersive experience in the most visited national park in the country
How to Apply:
Complete the Application Form (click to open) and email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter to "Academic Internship Committee" at AcademicIntern@parksconservancy.org. Please include "Academic Internship Application" in the subject line and list the position title(s) of interest in your email.
Be sure to include the following in your cover letter:
- Your experience or lack of experience (that’s ok!) with national parks.
- Why you are interested in the position(s) that you are applying for.
- What unique perspective you bring.
Attend A Presentations Or Workshops At Your School:
- Info Session: Wednesday, September 28th at 12:30 – 1:30pm in LIB 242
- Info Session: Wednesday, October 4th at 1pm in LIB 242
- Resume Workshop: Tuesday, October 11th at 12:30 – 1:30pm in LIB 242
- Recreation Parks, and Tourism Career Fair: Wednesday, October 12th from 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Info Session and Resume Workshop: Wednesday, September 28th at 1:00-3:00pm
- Info Session: Tuesday, September 20th at 5:00-7:00pm in Deedy Lounge
- First, have an advisor or one of your professors review your resume and cover letter and/or seek support at your campus student centers/departments:
- SFSU Student Involvement and Career Center
- CCSF: contact counselor Anastasia Fiandaca, firstname.lastname@example.org
- COM: Lisette Flores, Internships Coordinator: email@example.com
- Apply for more than one position!
- You can apply for up to 3 positions
- This will only increase your chances in the selection process
For information about the academic credit and other educational related questions contact:
Students at COM:
Dr. Paul DaSilva; Instructor, Biology Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students at CCSF:
Joe Cannon, Instructor in the Biology Department, email@example.com
2017 ACADEMIC INTERN POSITIONS
Communications and Media | Cultural Resources | Facilities, Maintenance, and Landscaping | Interpretation and Education | Community and Youth Programs | Natural Resources | Park Administration, Projects, and Operations
Check out this video about the Academic Internships Program made by Academic Interns:
2017 ACADEMIC INTERNSHIPS
Landscaping and Facilities Management
• Landscaping and Facilities Volunteer Program Intern - San Francisco
• Landscaping and Facilities Volunteer Program Intern - Marin
Education & Historical Interpretation
• Education and Interpretive Intern – Marin
• Education and Interpretive Intern – Muir Woods, Headlands
• Historical Interpretive Academic Internship – Fort Point, San Francisco
Community and Youth Programs
• Youth In Nature Intern – Marin
• Healthy Parks, Healthy People
• Vegetation Monitoring Intern – Marin
• Ecological Restoration and Volunteer Management Intern – Marin
• Native Plant Nursery Intern – Marin
• Vegetation Ecology Intern – Marin
• Biological Technician Intern – Marin
• Wildlife Research Intern - Marin