The Trails Forever initiative celebrates its 11th anniversary in the Golden Gate National Parks this year. Brought to our park by late Superintendent Brian O'Neill and modeled after its sister program in Acadia National Park, Trails Forever brings together staff and volunteers from the three partner agencies—National Park Service, Parks Conservancy and Presidio Trust—toward protecting the many resources in this amazing park and creating access to them.
Since 2002, this team has built and maintained 125 miles of trail, restored over 1,000 acres of habitat, protected historic batteries, created 8 new overlooks and thrown 10 memorable dinners.
A key component of the Trails Forever initiative is engaging the community in building and maintaining a world class trail system. Community and corporate groups, individuals, school groups and partners roll up their sleeves and donate their time to work on trails. To find out more about our volunteer opportunities visit the Programs tab below.
Trail Construction and Maintenance Internships--Now Hiring! Trails Forever Intern June 2015
New from Trails Forever
By the end of summer, an exciting new trail feature will grace the southern end of the Golden Gate. Visitors will be able to connect directly to the Presidio Coastal Trail, via a striking new bike/pedestrian “bridge” over the historic batteries. more >>
Test your knowledge of 10 common tools from the top-secret Fort Miley tool shed. more >>
Trails Forever Programs
More About Trails Forever
- A New Bridge by the Golden Gate
- Trail Tools Quiz: Can You Dig It?
- National Trails Day 2015: One of the Biggest Ever
- National Trails Day: Honor Your Trails
- Two Ways “TLC” Brightens the Future for Mount Tam
- Muir Woods’ Boardwalk Empire Expands
- Muir Beach: A (Parking) Lot Has Happened!
- Volunteers Rock National Trails Day!
- A New Face and a New Phase: Summer Trail Work Days
- Muir Beach Closed July 8-Mid December, 2013
- Giving Back to the Trails at Golden Gate
- Trail Anatomy 101: Name That Feature!
Building 201, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123