Presidio Garden and Sustainability Stewards
Parks Powered by Volunteers
When: Thursdays, 9 am–Noon
Where: Meet at the Presidio Transit Center on the bay-facing side of the building a few minutes prior to the start of the program for a prompt 9:00 am departure. Volunteers will be shuttled by van to the project site.
One program, three types of stewardship!
Garden Stewards maintain and enhance the Presidio’s historic gardens while learning about horticulture and historic landscape preservation. Activities often include planting, weeding, watering, spreading mulch, and clearing historic rock walls and pathways.
Sustainability Stewards help the Presidio on its way to becoming a model of environmental sustainability. This award-winning program helps the Presidio divert more than 60% of its waste from the landfill each year. Learn how green debris is turned into compost for our nursery and other landscapes, help organize salvaged materials for creative reuse, or pick-up litter along our beautiful trails and overlooks.
Community Garden Stewards tend and maintain the Presidio’s historic community garden at Ft. Scott or one of six other neighborhood community gardens in the Presidio. The Presidio’s community gardens serve as important gathering spaces, where people can meet their neighbors, connect with nature, and learn about growing wholesome, local foods. Activities often include tending vegetable, herb and ornamental beds; turning compost piles; weeding and mulching paths; washing pots; transplanting seedlings; or assisting with garden-based construction projects. Volunteers may also harvest vegetables for use in Presidio restaurants, and we often share foods from the garden!
Check the Presidio Trust website for additional updates.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Visit our Groups volunteer page to learn more.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Presidio Trust Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.