Alcatraz Budding Gardeners (Youth Program)
Parks Powered by Volunteers
When: Last Saturday of every month, 10 am–1 pm. For families with children ages 10 and up.
Where: Alcatraz Island
Help restore the historic Gardens of Alcatraz. This unique opportunity allows you to learn and practice sustainable gardening skills all while working in areas on Alcatraz typically closed off to the public. Activities include maintaining our award winning compost, weeding, seeding, seed collecting, sifting soil, and more.
Individuals and Families
This is not a drop-in program. Click on the registration button and complete the express interest form. The volunteer manager will contact you with further details. Please note this program is limited in capacity so cannot accomodate drop-in volunteers.
Alcatraz programs are limited in capacity. Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form or visit our Groups volunteer page to learn more.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Families with children ages 10 and up are welcome.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.