On October 27 of this year, it will be 40 years since President Richard Nixon signed the legislation to create the 34,000-acre Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Since then, the Golden Gate National Parks—as these parklands are popularly called—have grown to more than 80,000 breathtaking acres. So there’s a lot to celebrate—and many ways to get the party started.
- Are you ENTJ or INFP? What about FOFU or MUWO? Take this short quiz and discover your “park personality!” Through our completely unscientific (but totally fun!) system of 16 park-sonality types, you’ll find a whole new meaning to finding yourself in our parks. Take the quiz >>
- On October 27, come to an extraordinary celebration of the activists and heroes who led a grassroots effort to protect open spaces and create Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Thank them in person, enjoy new historical exhibits, and take a ranger-led hike. Of course, there will be cake! Get the details >>
- Going to a party is only one way to celebrate a milestone birthday. Need a few more? How about 40 ways to mark this big year for the Golden Gate National Parks? Download 40 ways (PDF) >>
- Turning 40 is a good time to look back, reminisce, remember good times, and share some laughs. Submit your photos—taken in the parks at any time during the last 40 years—and you’ll be entered to win a pair of Alcatraz night tour tickets. Plus, these images will make a great scrapbook of memories. Deadline is October 15. Submit your photo to enter the drawing >>
- These parks were created through community engagement and action. Carry that spirit forward by giving the parks the best birthday gift of all: your support. Join the Parks Conservancy—the nonprofit dedicated to making sure the Golden Gate National Parks are truly PARKS FOR ALL FOREVER. This is the year to give back to the parklands that have given us so much! Join the Conservancy >>
Return to Park E-ventures archive or read more articles about related: