Postcard

Kids Write Back: Postcards to the Parks

From Park E-ventures, May 2013

By Kaitlin de Blanc, National Park Service Education Intern at the Crissy Field Center

Have you ever sent a postcard of the Golden Gate Bridge to someone? In Crissy Field Center school programs this year, we had participants send their postcards to us! Check out some of the kids’ postcards, depicting what they learned during their school field trip to our parks.

We, the school programs team at the Crissy Field Center, have made some successful additions to our weekly programs. The Garbology 101 program currently features a “comic book-style” activity booklet featuring a loveable narrator, Arty the Artifact. With a little guidance from program leaders, students get a feel for the life and times at Crissy Field and the Presidio during the Ohlone, Spanish Colonial, and Early American periods. The activity book includes drawings of the Ohlone people, pictures from the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition (World’s Fair), and photographs of artifacts that the archeology team finds at the Crissy Field Marsh.

The program team has also included a reflection piece to give us a little feedback on our work. Now, with every program, teachers will be sent back to class with a self-addressed and stamped envelope containing simulation postcard pieces that each student can fill out after their program. The postcards feature an empty space on one side for a drawing and lines on the other side for written comments. The envelope can be resealed and dropped in the mail. Postage is already paid.

The school programs staff members love to get these postcards back and read what the students liked best. Many student drawings feature the marsh, local flora and fauna, and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Bridge’s classic lines and distinctive color make it appealing—but perhaps also a little difficult to draw from memory. Some of our favorite drawings depict rather creative interpretations.

Because of the success of these postcards, other Crissy Field Center programs are considering beginning their own postcard activity. We can’t wait to see what drawings we receive from other program participants!

Return to Park E-ventures archive or read more articles about related:

Comments

* * *
Trying to say much appreciated won't simply be sufficient, for the fantasti c clarity in your written work. I will right away get your rss channel to stay educated of any redesigns. michigan waterproofing
Submitted by jannat1 on November 23, 2014
* * *
Phoenix Tile Cleaning Extraordinary, This particular net page is genuinely exciting and delight to learn. I'm a colossal fan from the subjects specified. Surprise Tile Cleaning
Submitted by jannat1 on November 23, 2014
* * *
The first several months of my site there were no comments; just give it time; now they come in like crazy every day! Thanks. community help
Submitted by jannat1 on November 22, 2014
* * *
This is a very good tips especially to those new to blogosphere, brief and accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article. best place to buy facebook likes
Submitted by jannat1 on November 21, 2014
* * *
I've just decided to create a blog, which I have been wanting to do for a while. Thanks for this post, it's really useful! http://www.elegirnatural.com
Submitted by jannat1 on November 21, 2014
* * *
I might want to thank you for the exertions you have made in composing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you later on also. Nassau county pest control
Submitted by jannat1 on November 20, 2014
* * *
The first several months of my site there were no comments; just give it time; now they come in like crazy every day! Thanks. Napa Valley Wine Tours
Submitted by jannat1 on November 18, 2014
* * *
Hello! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing! New Jersey Limos
Submitted by jackdon on November 18, 2014
* * *
Excellent post, went ahead and bookmarked your site. I can’t wait to read more from you. full-design.com
Submitted by jannat1 on November 17, 2014
* * *
The first several months of my site there were no comments; just give it time; now they come in like crazy every day! Thanks. http://anewkindofmarketing.com/5-ways-to-service-home-loans/
Submitted by jannat1 on November 16, 2014
* * *
Awesome material! Thanks a lot, dude, for giving this so good material to us. I've just recently completed one of my projects due to the information from this post. Thanks man, once again! lis pendens foreclosure
Submitted by jannat1 on November 16, 2014
* * *
I might want to thank you for the exertions you have made in composing this article. I am trusting the same best work from you later on also. happy new year 2015 wallpaper
Submitted by jannat1 on November 16, 2014
* * *
Thanks for creating the page! Im positive that it will be very popular. It has good and valuable content which is very rare these days. créer votre site internet
Submitted by jannat1 on November 16, 2014
* * *
I cherish the online journal. Extraordinary post. It is genuine, individuals must figure out how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds entertaining however it genuine. . . Patchogue
Submitted by jannat1 on November 15, 2014
* * *
Many thanks for this brilliant post! Many points have extremely useful. Hopefully you'll continue sharing your knowledge around. By visiting - www.proviantopt.ru
Submitted by jannat1 on November 15, 2014
* * *
Effectively, the article is really the best theme on this registry related issue. I fit in with your decisions and will excitedly anticipate your next overhauls. Fifa 15 Hack
Submitted by jannat1 on November 15, 2014
* * *
Awesome material! Thanks a lot, dude, for giving this so good material to us. I've just recently completed one of my projects due to the information from this post. Thanks man, once again! http://www.fitness-products-reviews.com
Submitted by jannat1 on November 14, 2014
* * *
Exploring veritable essay writers is exacting procedure. Sole asset of such places is quick process also salubrious property. It is very comfy means to receive benevolent traits at school.
Submitted by Rory on November 13, 2014