Date & Time:
Volunteer programs take place on Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:00 am–noon.
Please note that there will be no drop-in programs on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Dec. 25
- Wednesday, Jan. 1
The extraordinary gardens of Alcatraz reflect a rich history of horticulture and gardening ideas spanning many different eras, including floriferous Victorian cottage gardens, terraced cutting beds, and environmentally sensitive attempts at erosion control. Since 2003, garden volunteer crews have been working each week to re-establish the historic gardens.
Volunteer activities include weeding, pruning, and planting. Through the project, volunteers will be introduced to the stories of the gardens and have the opportunity to visit some areas not accessible to the public. As an added bonus, garden volunteers arrive on Alcatraz before other visitors, so you can experience the island during the most tranquil time of day.
This is not a drop-in program. Registration is required as well as a 2-3 month commitment to volunteer.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 15 and up are welcome.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.
To learn more about the historic gardens, visit www.alcatrazgardens.org.