Date & Time:
Volunteer programs take place on Saturdays, 9:30 am-12:30 pm.
Meeting Location: Meet at Fort Funston Nursery (click map on right).
Please note that there will be no drop-in programs on the following dates:
- Saturday, Dec. 28
- Saturday, Jan. 4
- Saturday, Jan. 11
- Saturday, Jan. 18
First established in 1980, the Fort Funston Nursery was the first of its kind in the Golden Gate National Parks. Since then, the nursery has grown plants for a variety of park sites including Lands End, Fort Funston, Mori Point, and Sweeney Ridge. Habitats ranging from coastal bluffs to grasslands have been rehabilitated with the plants grown at the nursery.
Currently, the Fort Funston nursery grows an impressive 25,000 plants per year for Lands End, Fort Funston, and critical redwood forest habitat in San Mateo County parklands. These accomplishments would not be possible without our dedicated volunteer base.
The star of the nursery this year is the coast redwood tree (Sequoia sempervirens), which is grown for Phleger Estate (one of the newer additions to the Golden Gate National Parks). Fort Funston is the only park nursery to ever grow this beautiful tree, which will one day out live us all!
Volunteers at Fort Funston participate in a variety of activities, including seed collection, transplanting, pruning, weeding and more.
Come help grow your national park!
Individuals and Families
Drop-in individuals are welcome. Registration is requested for participation.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.