The Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy is the nonprofit support partner of the Golden Gate National Parks—84,000 acres of national parkland throughout the Bay Area, including Muir Woods, Ocean Beach, Crissy Field, and Alcatraz. The Parks Conservancy is a membership organization created to preserve the Golden Gate National Parks, enhance the experiences of park visitors, and build a community dedicated to conserving the parks for the future. Park projects and programs include the Crissy Field Center, the promoting of leadership and environmental justice training for youth; the Native Plant Nurseries, which grows over 100,000 plants annually to restore habitat; Trails Forever, which is at work building and rehabilitating miles of trails throughout the parks; and volunteer programs that inspire 35,000 people annually to take action in support the parks.
The Golden Gate Bridge Café and Round House is seeking a full time manager. Responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of employee supervision including hiring, scheduling and training. The café provides high quality food and beverage offerings for visitors to the Golden Gate Bridge Plaza. The manager should maintain exceptionally high standards of customer service and ensure sales goals are met or exceeded and expenses are controlled. The position works a flexible and varied schedule, including weekends and early evenings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess current management level ServSafe certification.
- Possess a current, valid California driver license and have a clean driving record.
- Working knowledge of California labor laws.
- Knowledge of Federal Food Code, food hygiene standards.
- Minimum of two years direct personnel hiring, supervision and motivation and corrective action management.
- BA Hospitality or equivalent work experience.
- Barista experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Aloha POS.
- ADP time and attendance experience a plus.
Position requires extended time standing, serving and preparing food, cash handling or working computer screens. Employee must be able to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds for short distances. Outdoor work in inclimate weather is probable. Food transport is required including driving, lifting and carrying food approximately 100 yards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Food and Beverage Service
- Maintain health code standards and ordinances.
- Oversee cleanliness and maintenance of all Round House Café and Bridge Café store equipment, storage and service areas.
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of Round House Café and Bridge Café store including full, eye-catching and well-merchandised presentation in sandwich, pastry and beverage cases, counters and shelves.
- Manage food costs through efficient and effective ordering and assure that food orders are placed from assigned vendors and central kitchen a timely fashion and are sufficient to meet demand.
- Assure quality food production: monitors and maintains food quality, as directed.
Leadership, Supervision and Staff Development
- Recruit, hire and develop a motivated, productive, service-oriented staff.
- Ensure succession plans are current; create a base of promotable employees.
- Effectively orient new employees to the mission and goals of the Parks Conservancy and to their job requirements and standards (position descriptions).
- Ensure annual performance appraisals are thorough and that they are conducted on time.
- Coach and counsel employees expediently using specific goals and follow-up deadlines and ensure appropriate documentation.
- Ensure corrective action and termination procedures are handled promptly and correctly.
- Plan and organize workload priorities; delegate tasks effectively.
- Promote a climate of trust where all employees understand and have confidence in the organization’s Open Door guidelines and feel encouraged to raise their work-related concerns without fear of retribution.
- Attend regular staff meetings and division meetings; distribute all pertinent information, announcements and decisions from the meeting to store staff.
Customer Service Commitment
- Develop and monitor standards of service for all staff working with visitors.
- Ensure all difficult service issues are handled to the satisfaction of the visitor.
- Ensure all staff members are thoroughly trained to provide visitors with accurate and knowledgeable information.
- Provide orientation and on-going information to the staff about the Conservancy’s role in enhancing the quality of the park. Ensure employees understand how their work contributes to this goal.
Financial and Business Basics Accountability
- Meet or exceed all budget goals (sales, gross margin, payroll, and other expenses).
- Help control internal and external shrinkage, and protect company assets.
- Control personnel expenses through effective scheduling, efficient operations and avoiding excessive overtime usage without compromising employee safety, food safety or labor regulations.
- Monitor budget throughout the year making necessary adjustments as needed.
- Inform staff of gross income goals.
- Provide feedback and analysis to the Food and Beverage Director about trends and other factors affecting the business.
- Submit weekly invoices, and weekly and monthly sales and expense reporting in a timely fashion.
- Process payroll/ timecards for all staff.
- Enforce observation of Conservancy safety guidelines, federal food hygiene regulations and that all work areas are hazard free.
- Ensure that all café training programs include explicit training in safety regulations and that all department employees complete safety training.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please include “Café Manager” as the subject of your email.