Sunset from East Beach at Crissy Field, photo by Mason Cummings.

Jaw-dropping Sunset Spots in Our Parks

From Park E-ventures, March 2013

Grab your cameras and head for the coast—it’s sunset season in the parks! With Daylight Savings around the corner (March 10), soon we’ll have an extra hour to capture the sun setting at breathtaking coastal vistas.

Here are some must-visit locations in the parks—and a few tips—for any photo enthusiast during this late winter season:

1. Black Sands Beach
This is a favorite lesser-known sunset location in the Golden Gate National Parks. A colorful mélange of boulders scattered throughout the black sand slopes gives way to prominent sea stacks—perpetually battered by the forceful tides of the Golden Gate. The short, pleasant hike to Black Sands will provide you with coastal drama at its best.

The conditions here make for unparalleled opportunities to capture motion in water. Take caution, though—sporadic sets of tremendous waves can easily catch you off guard at Black Sands. Take a few steps inland to safely capture the ongoing battle between land and sea.

Since the beach is relatively south facing, sunsets are best here in the late winter and early spring. Point Bonita lies to the west and provides a great backdrop for a bounty of stellar foreground options.

2. Sutro Baths
There are plenty of reasons why Sutro Baths is a classic sunset location. It’s very easy to get to and has just about everything a landscape photographer can hope for. The landscape here is rugged and wild, yet still easily accessible by public transportation.

The ruins of the baths provide great opportunities for a juxtaposition of photographic elements—wild nature and a strong presence of human history. Walk below the baths and you can still capture frontier-like scenes that appear far withdrawn from the hustle of contemporary urban life.

Sunsets can be good here all year ’round—even the foggy summer evenings lend to some truly eerie looking images. Every day brings something different at Sutro Baths.

3. Pirates Cove
Pirates Cove is the place to go for more adventurous shutterbugs seeking refuge from the flocks of photographers at the more popular locations like Sutro Baths. It’s not easy to get there, but the seclusion and beauty of Pirates Cove make the arduous hike worth every step.

Sunsets are hit or miss—especially on the coast—so you have to be willing to roll the dice if you’re planning to make the trip to Pirates Cove with the sole intention of taking photographs. Early spring clouds offer the best potential for colorful sunsets, so try not to let clear skies lure you in.

If you’re planning on shooting sunset at Pirates Cove, be sure to bring a headlamp for the long hike out!

4. Mori Point
Mori Point is the ultimate spot for springtime wildflowers in the Golden Gate National Parks. The auspicious combination of vibrant flora and dramatic coastline makes it a truly one-of-a-kind location for landscape photography.

The short hike to the point itself will lead you to the best views and the largest patches of wildflowers. Spend an evening here composing lush foreground elements with “edge of the world” views—the possibilities are endless.

The blooms vary slightly from year to year, so sometimes it takes a little bit of persistence and luck to catch it at the right time. Even if there are no flowers, you will not leave disappointed.

5. Marshall’s Beach
Tucked between Baker Beach and the Golden Gate Bridge, Marshall’s Beach offers beautiful and unique perspectives on otherwise commonly photographed landscapes.

A short hike down the Batteries to Bluffs Trail takes you to this relatively secluded beach that offers incredible photographic potential. In the spirit of shooting sunsets, challenge yourself to point your camera away from the Bridge—the beach itself is beautiful too!

Now get out there and start shooting! Share your images with our Flickr group at www.flickr.com/groups/parksconservancy and post to Instagram with the hashtag #parks4all.

Text and images by Mason Cummings
Online Communications Specialist, Parks Conservancy

Return to Park E-ventures archive or read more articles about related:

Topics: "Top" lists

Comments

* * *
I might want to thank you for the tasks. I am tiring the same best execute from me later on too. http://www.free-essay.biz
Submitted by http://www.free-essay.biz on December 18, 2014
* * *
Any way I'll be subscribing to your food and I trust you post again soon. nettikasino
Submitted by nettikasino on December 18, 2014
* * *
That was extremely enlightening and exceptionally exciting for me. A debt of gratitude is in order regarding posting Really Such Things. HexColorDeck.com
Submitted by HexColorDeck.com on December 16, 2014
* * *
I will be assured are going to benefited using this website. I will be constantly searching on line pertaining to posts which will help me personally. pay per click marketing
Submitted by pay per click marketing on December 16, 2014
* * *
Year 2013 has been quite eventful. SRSG also witnessed events and evolved in terms of business verticals, technologies, people and processes.
Apple product reseller in Delhi
Apple service center Mumbai
Mac pro dealers in Delhi
iPhone 5S dealers in Kolkata
JBL Monitors dealers
Submitted by rodene on December 15, 2014
* * *
You've performed truly nice task. There are several men and women seeking with that right now they will come across plenty of sources by your suggestions. Pawtucket bankruptcy attorney
Submitted by Pawtucket bankruptcy attorney on December 14, 2014
* * *
We are definitely pleased by your article. We would be appreciating your articles or blog posts and also weblogs since they're size upward tag. jockeybola
Submitted by jockeybola on December 14, 2014
* * *
The internet is bogged down with bogus blogs with no real message but the post was fantastic and well worth the read.Thank you for sharing this with me. http://japanese.review24option.com
Submitted by jannat1 on December 10, 2014
* * *
relatively south facing, sunsets are best here in the late winter and early spring. Point Bonita lies to the west and provides a great backdrop for a bounty of stellar foreground options.buy facebook likes 1200
Submitted by sam on December 9, 2014
* * *
The internet is bogged down with bogus blogs with no real message but the post was fantastic and well worth the read.Thank you for sharing this with me. Hermes en ligne
Submitted by calvinbrock735 on December 3, 2014
* * *
Having read this I believed it was really enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth it. hay day hack
Submitted by Owen N. on December 3, 2014
* * *
This blog is one of the easiest site to comment. There is no need sign up to leave message here. Hopefully, all blogs are like this. Thanks. outsourcing services philippines
Submitted by Brian30 on December 1, 2014
* * *
Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There’s a lot teeth whitening jupiter of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you!
Submitted by jackdon on December 1, 2014
* * *
Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. online promo codes
Submitted by Team Kim on December 1, 2014
* * *
Took personal time to peruse all the remarks, yet I truly reveled in the article. It ended up being Very useful to me and I am certain to all the commentators here! It's generally pleasant when you can be educated, as well as entertained! parging estimate Calgary
Submitted by jannat1 on November 22, 2014
* * *
New Jersey Prom Limos Do you want to take your fitness a new level? Contact us now to organise a free trial session! Meet the group at the lovely and diverse All Nations Park, opposite KMart at the rear car park of Northcote Shopping Plaza
Submitted by jackdon on November 18, 2014
* * *
Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work! Wells Fargo foreclosure listings
Submitted by jannat1 on November 18, 2014
* * *
I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. HTML5 Animation Software
Submitted by jannat1 on November 17, 2014
* * *
Great photos sir. I will be coming here very soon. happy new year wishes happy new year 2015 wishes, merry christmas 2014 images, new year 2015 sms. new year 2015 messages, new year 2015 images, happy new year wishes
Submitted by Joe on October 30, 2014