Date & Time:
Volunteer programs take place on Wednesdays, 10 am–1 pm.
Meeting Location: Meet at Redwood Creek Nursery (click map on right).
Please note that there will be no drop-in programs on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Wednesday, Nov. 27
- Wednesday, Dec. 25
- Wednesday, Jan. 1
The Redwood Creek Nursery is growing over 15,000 container plants, as well as about 5,000 divisions for restoration efforts in the Redwood Creek watershed.
The nursery supports special efforts at Muir Beach to protect and enhance habitat for the endangered coho salmon and steelhead trout. We also grow a small amount of plants to diversify habitats surrounding the Dias Ridge trail, as well as to enhance the understory of Muir Woods.
Join us for a volunteer program among the beautiful California buckeyes that surround the Redwood Creek Nursery! We need the help of volunteers for propagule collection (seeds, divisions, and cuttings), seed cleaning, transplanting, pruning, weeding, general plant care, and nursery maintenance.
The nursery is nestled within the Redwood Creek watershed and is just downstream of the majestic redwoods of Muir Woods National Monument.
Come learn about native plant propagation and enjoy the company of others who love to be outside and get their hands dirty!
Individuals and Families
Drop-in individuals are welcome. Registration is not required for participation, but highly encouraged.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.