Date & Time:
Volunteer programs take place on Tuesdays, 1–4 pm.
Tuesday, September 1: No Program. Join us for habitat restoration at Kirby Cove from 10 am-3 pm instead!
Meeting Location: Meet at Tennessee Valley Nursery (click map on right).
The Tennessee Valley Nursery is growing about 10,000 plants for 11 restoration sites ranging from the Marin Headlands to Stinson Beach. Volunteers play a critical role in achieving these impressive numbers.
One of our major projects is the continuation of out-planting at the Gerbode Valley burn site, where eight acres of the invasive grass tall fescue were burned in a prescribed fire in September 2011. We planted approximately 5,000 plants last winter and will plant another 1,400 this year.
This rustic nursery is tucked away from the main trail running through Tennessee Valley. Participants in the weekly drop-in volunteer program can expect to work with a great group of fellow volunteers—many of whom have been coming out to this beautiful location for over a decade.
Tennessee Valley Nursery’s volunteer program is unique in that it offers volunteers a chance to work in the field with the Habitat Restoration Team, as well as work in the nursery. Depending on the season, field projects include invasive species removal and out-planting while nursery activities may include transplanting seedlings, pruning plants, collecting and cleaning seeds for the next growing season, or maintaining the nursery.
Join us to help grow this national park!
Individuals and Families
This is not a drop-in program. Registration is required.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 10 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.