- I want to volunteer. How do I get started?
- Do I need to register for a volunteer program or event?
- How do I sign up a group from my school, office, or community to volunteer?
- Volunteer Forms, Group Lists, and Work Description
- Young volunteers and Youth Policy Guidelines
- Do I need experience to volunteer?
- What should I bring to a volunteer program?
- What if it’s raining? Will the volunteer program be canceled?
- I need to cancel. What should I do?
- How do I get proof that I’ve volunteered?
- I’m interested in an internship. How can I apply?
I want to volunteer. How do I get started?
Start by visiting our Volunteer Homepage to find an opportunity that interests you. Opportunities exist year-round throughout Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo County and can accommodate various schedules, interests, and skills. You can also search the Park Calendar if you have a specific date in mind.
If you are new to a program we recommend that you register so you receive the meeting location, directions, and any other important information you may need. Minimum age requirements vary by project and are listed on each programs volunteer page along with our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
For more information on volunteer programs, contact (415) 561-3044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of programs have different meeting locations for their workdays and may need to send you directions. If you are new to a program we recommend that you register so you receive the meeting location, directions, and any other important information you may need.
Alcatraz Historic Gardens and Long-term Opportunities are not drop-in programs. Registration is required as these programs have limited capacity and require training and a commitment to volunteering for a specified amount of time.
How do I sign up a group from my school, office, or community to volunteer?
Scheduling a group program can take anywhere from 2–3 weeks and is dependent on the size of your group, your availability, and the time of year.
Visit our Groups page to learn more about activity types and complete the Group Project Request Form. Once your form is submitted, we will assume you group is committed to the dates and times specified on the form and will begin looking for a suitable project. The Alcatraz program is limited in capacity. Groups of 15 or more may be difficult to accommodate. Group programs for Alcatraz need to be scheduled several months in advance.
If you are simply looking for general information, please do not submit a group project request form. Contact us for more details, (415) 561-3077 or email@example.com.
- All volunteers must complete the Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- All volunteers should review the Work Description and Field Safety (PDF) in advance. Your project leader will be able to address any questions or concerns you may have.
- Groups: The group leader needs to complete one Volunteer Agreement Form for the entire group and each member of the group will sign the Group List (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed on the Volunteer Agreement Form.
Young volunteers and Youth Policy Guidelines
The minimum age requirements for volunteer programs vary by project and are listed on each programs volunteer page. Due to staffing limitations we require that there is an adult present for every 10 youths under the age of 15 unless it’s a program geared specifically for youth.
There are a number of programs that are family-friendly and welcome volunteers of all ages with adequate parent/guardian supervision. Visit our Youth and Family Opportunities page for details and review the Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
Do I need experience to volunteer?
No experience is necessary for any of our drop-in programs or special volunteer events such as Coastal Cleanup Day or National Trails Day. The program leader will cover tool and field safety at the beginning of the workday.
Long-term volunteer opportunities may require some experience and/or training. Visit our Internships & Long-term Volunteer Opportunities page for a list of programs that need volunteers on a long-term basis.
- Bring your Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). If you are under the age of 18, make sure the parent/guardian approval section is signed.
- Bring a personal water bottle (we’ll have water stations for refills).
- Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a hat and wear sunscreen.
- If you have a favorite pair of work gloves, feel free to bring them.
Your program leader will provide all the necessary tools, supplies, gloves, and training. Our project leaders are trained to deal with emergency situations and will have a first aid kit on site.
What if it’s raining? Will the volunteer program be canceled?
Most of our programs work rain or shine. Programs that cancel due to rain will have this information listed on their program page. Check the Individuals page for program details.
I need to cancel my registration. What should I do?
If you are unable to attend a volunteer program or event that you have registered for, we appreciate a call or e-mail letting us know you will be unable to attend. This is especially important when the project or event is limited in the number of people that can participate.
If you have registered for the volunteer program, look for your project leader’s contact information in your confirmation e-mail or leave a message with our Volunteer Coordinator at (415) 561-3044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I get proof that I’ve volunteered?
Your project leader can sign a volunteer hours form for your school or court-ordered service at the end of the volunteer project. Be sure to bring any paperwork you need signed to the volunteer workday.
I'm interested in an internship. How can I apply?
Internships are offered throughout the park during different times of the year. The length of the internship and skills required varies by program. Visit our Internships & Long-term Volunteer Opportunities page for more information.