Ecological Restoration Internship with the Presidio Park Stewards, a partnership between the National Park Service, Presidio Trust, and the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy.
The Presidio Park Stewards program strives to protect and enhance natural areas of the Presidio. The Presidio is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and is the largest urban national park in the United States. Its dunes, grasslands, and wetlands are home to rare and endangered plant and wildlife species. Habitat restoration projects are completed through the support of community volunteers.
- Coordinate weekly volunteer programs and service projects for youth and adult groups.
- Implement key components of restoration action plans including invasive plant control and native plant community revegetation.
- Manage your own stewardship site in the Presidio and maintain program tools, facilities, and equipment.
- Conduct adaptive management and monitoring activities for rare and endangered plant species.
- Assist in educating volunteers on the concepts of ecological restoration, biodiversity, invasive species, and conservation biology.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, environmental studies, or geography, and/or knowledge of basic ecology.
- Proclivity for land stewardship and an enthusiasm for rigorous outdoor work in all types of site and weather conditions.
- Good organizational skills and independent time management.
- Enthusiasm for engaging with the community (volunteers, community groups, middle and high school students).
- Seasonal internship, May through end of September, 2014.
- Tues-Sat schedule (or Sun–Thurs), 40 hrs per week.
- Housing in the Presidio of San Francisco.
Please send a resume to: Michael Chasse, Bldg. 201, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA 94123 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.