Date & Time:
Volunteer programs take place on Thursdays and Saturdays, 1-4 pm and every 1st Saturday, 10 am-noon.
- Please note: Saturday, Jul. 5, 2014 cancelled
Meeting locations are subject to change, please check the Park Stewardship Calendar for current workday information.
Become a Park Steward and help restore unique San Francisco coastal habitat at Lands End, Fort Funston, and along the Presidio coastal bluffs. Our sites feature California coastal scrub, shifting sand dunes, and coastal prairies—all in the backyard of bustling San Francisco. Since 2006, volunteers have planted more than 100,000 plants, and we can't stop there. Plenty of work remains to be done to restore and maintain the native coastal ecosystems of our city.
Weekly volunteer activities focus on weeding in the summer and planting in the winter, as well as seed collection, landscape beautification, and trail maintenance. Leave the concrete jungle behind, work outside beside the shimmering Pacific Ocean and majestic Golden Gate Bridge.
Our program offers great opportunity for those interested in ecological science. Enhance your studies, explore new habitats, and learn about local wildlife and plants with us. We have the unique opportunity to work with rare and endangered plants including dune tansy, San Francisco wallflower, and San Francisco gumplant. Watch a brown pelican diving in the surf or train your ears to catch the songbirds nesting in the native scrub. There is always something interesting to see and learn at our work sites!
Individuals and Families
Drop-in individuals are welcome. Registration is not required for participation, but highly encouraged. We have family-friendly projects suitable for different ages and activity levels at Lands End. Please contact us if you have mobility issues or other concerns.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers of all ages are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.
Directions to Work Sites
Presidio Coastal Bluffs (Thursdays)
Meet at the commuter parking lot at Storey Ave. and Lincoln Blvd. Map
Lands End (Saturdays)
Meet at the Coastal Trail trailhead at the Lands End parking lot at Merrie Way. The trailhead is on the north side of the parking lot; it is the semicircular area with seating walls and stairs. Map
Fort Funston (Every 1st Saturday of the month)
Meet at the main parking lot near the Sunset Coastal Trailhead. Map