COVID-19 Response: Latest on Volunteer Programs
The Parks Conservancy, along with our partners at the National Park Service and Presidio Trust, have been significantly impacted by the global health pandemic. Resumption of park volunteer programs will be delayed as we adjust staffing to ensure a positive volunteer experience. Up-to-date volunteer opportunities will be reflected on the calendar of events for individuals and families and our list of available projects for groups of 5 or more.
When: Every Tuesday and 3rd Saturday of each month, 9 am–Noon
Where: Meet in front of the large tunnel across the street from the Sea Scout Dock, 3500 Van Ness Ave. If no one is there to greet you, please walk up to the gate (to the right of the tunnel entrance). If the gate is open, come join us – we are already working on the site!
Join us at East Black Point, a quiet and all but forgotten spot, neglected for decades, and tucked away above the hustling bustling San Francisco waterfront. Located within Fort Mason, the site was developed with gardens and pathways in the 1850s by early San Francisco residents. Sheltered from the wind and offering striking views of the bay and city, it's easy to see why the hillside was a favored place for the community to garden and stroll. East Black Point is currently off limits, but with volunteer support the beautiful garden pathways will be unearthed, the site will be brought back to life, and we will reopen it for public use and ongoing stewardship.
Volunteers will help to remove invasive species that have overwhelmed the site and revegetate the garden with a mix of native species and horticultural species that were planted by the residents over 100 years ago! Activities primarily include weeding, pruning, and planting.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 15 and up are welcome.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.