Marvel at the beauty of the Marin Headlands on this moderate hike! There isn't any shade for the duration of the hike, so make sure to wear a hat and sunscreen. Print out the map or download on your phone as service is not reliable.
Distance: 4.5 miles
Time: 3 hours
Level: Moderate, gradual uphill and then gradual downhill
Access/Parking: Park in front of Point “B” on the map – a gravelly parking area in front of a long off-white building.
Restrooms: Portable restroom at parking area
- Start at Point “A” and do this hike in a counter clockwise direction for the best views, starting uphill on Miwok and coming down Wolf Ridge & Coastal Trails
- From the trailhead, follow the Miwok Trail
- Take a left on the Wolf Ridge Trail - with nice views of the headlands and ocean.
- At the top, pause for a snack break and take in the views north over to Stinson Beach and Bolinas and south towards San Francisco.
- At the intersection with the Coastal Trail, continue straight (toward the ocean) on the Coastal Trail
- There will be a point where the Coastal Trail goes “across” the bowl looking over the buildings below or goes down hill toward Battery Townsley. Both may be called the Coastal Trail.
- Go down toward Battery Townsley. The trail will become paved at some point with breathtaking ocean views.
- Picnicing options are at tables near the restrooms, on the beach, or there is a lovely little grassy spot with 2 tables on the lawn next to the lagoon as you walk back toward your car.
- To get back to your car, follow Mitchell Road along the lagoon.
- Consider a stop at the Marine Mammal Center on your way back if you have the energy!