The Junior Ranger Jamboree on May 7, 2016 wasn’t just a celebration of the National Park Service (NPS) Centennial or a commemoration of the 15th anniversary of Crissy Field’s transformation. It also kicked off a fun slate of summertime park activities in partnership with the San Francisco Public Library.
Themed around national parks and featuring illustrations by award-winning artist Christian Robinson, the San Francisco Public Library’s summer reading/learning program is fun for all ages. Get started by visiting your local branch library in San Francisco (and check out a list of recommended books about parks and nature). If you meet your 15-hour goal, you’ll receive a Summer Stride tote or a nifty “Reading Ranger” badge!
Launch your next park adventure at a local San Francisco library. Seven locations (see stars in the map below) feature “trailheads” that include directions to the nearest national park sites, fun facts about their natural and cultural history, and suggestions for further reading explorations.
Throughout the summer, NPS rangers will appear at libraries across San Francisco, bringing a bit of national park wonder and magic to our neighborhoods—and sharing the fascinating history of our parks. Visit parksconservancy.org/nps100 for upcoming hikes, walks, and talks.
Little Free Libraries
Take a book—or leave a book—at these little libraries scattered throughout the Golden Gate National Parks: Fort Mason (Great Meadow), Ocean Beach, Lands End, Presidio Main Post, Presidio Coastal Trail, Mountain Lake (Presidio), Crissy Field, Mori Point, the Marin Headlands, Roving Ranger. Can you find them all?
Hop on a free shuttle to embark on a guided trip to a local national park site. Shuttles pick up and drop off at the following branch library locations (indicated by circles in the map below); they depart at 11 am and return at 3 pm, with exceptions noted:
• 6/4: Chinatown Branch to SF Maritime National Historical Park
• 6/11: Excelsior Branch to Presidio (Mountain Lake) & Golden Gate Bridge
• 6/18: Ocean View Branch to Mori Point
• 6/25: Western Addition Branch to Presidio (Main Post), depart 10:30 am and return 3:30 pm
• 7/9: Ortega Branch to Marin Headlands
• 7/16: Mission Branch to Crissy Field
• 7/23: Bayview Branch to Lands End
• 7/30: Potrero Branch to Presidio (El Polín)
• 8/13: Main Library to Fort Point National Historic Site, depart 10:30 am and return 3:30 pm