It's "Awww"gust: Baby Season in the Parks
With cute baby animals out and about, now’s a great time to explore your Golden National Parks. View this slideshow of some of the parks’ budding young stars, and then gather up your own little ones for an “awww”-some park adventure.
You can also view more photos of our parks (and submit your own) here.
As ordered in the slideshow:
- Coyote (Canis latrans), photo by NPS / Kirke Wrench.
- Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica), photo by NPS / Kirke Wrench.
- Garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)
- Egret (Egretta thula) on Alcatraz during the bird breeding season, photo by Jessica Weinberg.
- Juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) surveyed during electrofishing in Olema Creek, photo by Jessica Weinberg.
- Raccoon (Procyon lotor) in the Marin Headlands, photo by Jessica Weinberg.
- Black-tailed deer (Odocoileus hemionus columbianus), photo by Jessica Weinberg.
- Male California Quail (Callipepla californica) with chicks, photo by Jessica Weinberg.
- San Bruno Elfin Butterfly caterpillar (Callophrys mossii bayensis), photo by Christina Crooker.
- Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax), photo by Will Elder.
- Bobcat cub (Lynx rufus), photo by Don Moseman.
- Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus), photo by Don Moseman.
- Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo), photo by Don Moseman.
- Bluebird (Sialia mexicana), photo by Don Moseman.