To ensure the safety of staff and volunteers, registration is required for this event.
When: September 11, 2021; 9 am - 12 pm
Where: Baker Beach - Meeting location will be sent once registration is complete.
The largest garbage patch in the world exists in the Pacific Ocean between California and Hawaii. This floating island of trash is made of plastics that break down over time into smaller pieces called microplastics. With over 1 trillion pieces of plastic weighing over 80,000 tons, this area is a huge problem for species that depend on marine habitat. Help out by removing debris from our local beaches and prevent litter from being washed away into the Pacific Ocean.
This event will be held on September 11, 2021, as part of National Day of Service and Remembrance (9/11 Day). Join us in remembering the lives lost on this day twenty years ago as we work to improve our local coastal environments.
- Please complete this CDC health self-screening prior to joining a volunteer program.
- Stay home and DO NOT attend if you:
- Have any illness symptoms
- Have tested positive for COVID-19
- Suspect you have had contact with a COVID-19 positive case
- We require 6 feet of physical distancing at volunteer programs.
- Face coverings are strongly encouraged at all times, and required when you are within 6 feet of people outside of your household.
Air Quality Alerts:
- Above 100 (orange) - program may continue but sensitive groups should consider staying home.
- Above 150 (red) - all volunteer programs will be cancelled.
- Please visit AirNow for the latest air quality information.
Groups of five or more require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Visit our Groups volunteer page to learn more.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers of all ages are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers if weather conditions change or if it rains on the day of the event.
- Bring a personal face covering, water bottle, sunscreen, work gloves, and snacks.
- No prior experience necessary to participate. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.