Date & Time: Last Saturday of each month, 10am-1pm
Meeting Location: Ocean Beach, stairwell #5 | Meet in the Ocean Beach parking lot near Balboa Street and Great Highway. The project will be across the street in the Balboa Natural Area.
Be a part of a trail legacy by volunteering with Teens on Trails. Our program creates a unique opportunity for teenagers to experience the beauty of a different National Park site each month, while connecting with other teens from around the Bay Area. Volunteer activities vary for each work day, but include tasks such as resurfacing trail, restoring native habitat, repairing fences, and cutting back brush along the trails. On July 27th, the program will focus on repairing steps on the Balboa steps and trimming back vegetation from the staircase.
Work days are scheduled on the last Saturday of each month, and we encourage youth to join us and bring their friends, classmates, or school club out to help improve park trails! Fulfill school required community service hours and have a blast with friends, all while helping to restore your national park.
Individuals & Groups
Drop-in individuals are welcome. Registration is not required for participation, but highly encouraged.
Groups of five or more may require special arrangements and must be confirmed in advance. Fill out the Group Project Request Form.
Age, Skills, What to Bring:
- Volunteers ages 14 and up are welcome. Read our Youth Policy Guidelines (PDF) for youth under the age of 15.
- Bring your completed Volunteer Agreement Form (PDF). Volunteers under the age of 18 must have the parent/guardian approval section signed.
- We'll be working rain or shine. Wear clothes that can get dirty. Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required. Bring layers for changing weather and rain gear if necessary.
- Bring a personal water bottle and sunscreen.
- No experience necessary. Training and tools will be provided. Fulfills community service requirements.